Monday, November 5, 2012

Chasing Mavericks


I went to see Chasing Mavericks, a newly released movie with Gerard Butler, who I'm realizing is one of my favorite male actors.  My dad has this thing for finding the redemption in the films he watches and I've kind of inherited that from him  :).  But I've never experienced the Lord  speaking so clearly to me through a movie until now!  I feel so honored.

The basic plot of Chasing Mavericks is that a 15-year old boy, Jay Moriarity, is trained by a professional surfer to surf the biggest wave in the world, Mavericks.  This is not just any wave.  If you make one mistake while surfing it and go under the water, the weight of the wave will hold you down for 4 minutes or longer!  So Jay is pushed completely past his comfort zone and learns to do all of the things necessary to surf Mavericks.  The whole idea of spending every spare moment of time training for this purpose may sound silly, but I am inspired.

My life, as a committed follower of the Most High God, demands that I go outside of my comfort zones and endure life's waves daily.  To be quite honest, I don't always WANT to be committed and "stay the course."  It would be so much easier to just give up and say, "Forget it." I am embarrassed to say that I do say that more often than I wish I did. Jay wanted to give up just as much as I often do, but he wouldn't, because he knew the result would be great. 

At the same time that he's training, he faithfully serves and supports his worn-out mom, financially and emotionally.  He doesn't have any real friends or anyone to support and encourage him/build him up, and he doesn't see any kind of reward for his consistent service for a long time.  I won't spoil the end for those of you who haven't yet seen it.  But I will say that he is rewarded by several people in the end.

This has brought such hope and even perspective for me: to see that I HAVE BEEN rewarded and am I AM BEING rewarded for the things I am striving to do well for Jesus. He sees the hard things we do for Him and loves to reward us richly.  Don't give in to the lie that He has us endure things for no reason. It's for the sake of our testimony as His followers! 

Many times in seasons of weariness, that doesn't sound very encouraging.  But think about it: someday, someone may need comfort from a person that has experienced the same thing they're experiencing. The more things we have to trudge through, the more people we'll be able to get down in the trenches with and relate to. 

At one point in the movie, it looks as if Jay may have been pushed under by the waves and drowned.  But mixed with the perfect music, of course, he comes through the crashing waters, victorious!  It's prophetic for those of us who feel like we've been pushed under the water and can't get back up to breathe.  We serve a faithful God and He wants us to trust Him that He can and will bring us to a place of victory and rest in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment